Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Truth Behind Skype - A Company Full Of Lies!!!  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Inject OH 4

The Truth Behind Skype - A Company Full Of Lies!!!
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
The Scandal Unfolds

So as many of you know Skype is a VOIP service many of you already use. People use it to call land-lines, mobile phones or Skype numbers (pc to pc). But, to put it in the words of the creators: Skype is for doing things together, whenever you’re apart. Skype’s text, voice and video make it simple to share experiences with the people that matter to you, wherever they are.

With Skype, you can share a story, celebrate a birthday, learn a language, hold a meeting, work with colleagues – just about anything you need to do together every day. You can use Skype on whatever works best for you - on your phone or computer or a TV with Skype on it. It is free to start using Skype - to speak, see and instant message other people on Skype for example. You can even try out group video, with the latest version of Skype.

Cool beans, Either way...Recently I got Skype Premium for free, for an entire year (I've had it once before no issues). This was part of a promo. Or "The Skype Collaboration Project". Where Skype was giving away vouchers for "1 Year of Free Skype Premium" to any user that enters there email. So like many others I entered my email and got a voucher. I was happy to use it and was happy when Skype said, 1 Year of free Premium Activated. Wahoo! Then my happiness faded when I couldn't call any land-lines like I had before when I had Skype premium. So I checked to see if the defintion of Skype Premium had changed... it had not. Also I checked my account status. "Premium Subscription". Hummm. So according to the website. I had Skype Premium, it was active, and I could not make calls to land-lines.

Now what is skype premium? For those of you who don't already know.

As defined by Skype.com
Skype Premium is a great way to enjoy all the features Skype has to offer. It lets you take advantage of group video calling (currently available on Windows desktop and Mac), so that you can call and see several members of your family at once, or celebrate New Year with your friends from different time zones. You can also enjoy unlimited* calling to mobiles and landlines in a country of your choice**, so you can talk for as long as you like, as often as you like, without worrying about time or cost.

*A fair usage policy applies.

**To view the list of countries, scroll down to the bottom of the Skype Premium features list and select the Unlimited calls to a country of your choice link.

Alright, so I can call anyone in my country free right? *RIGHT*, Humm, isn't working.
Lets contact support

And so the adventure begins.

Chapter 1: Customer Support?!
Hello! Welcome to Skype Live Support! My name is Earl. How may I help you?
Matthew: at 10:41:03
Hi, I just got skype premium for a year via a voucher I received. And it says I get "Unlimited calls to a country/region of your choice†"
Matthew: at 10:41:12
However, I can't call any landlines.
Earl R: at 10:41:34
I will be more than happy to assist you with today.
Earl R: at 10:42:30
Thank you matthew may I have your Skype name, please?
Matthew: at 10:42:38
*CENSORED*
Earl R: at 10:42:50
Thank you.
Earl R: at 10:43:41
Kindly stay on the chat line let me check on this
Matthew: at 10:43:55
Sure no problem.
Earl R: at 10:44:45
Thank you.
Earl R: at 10:47:48
Alright, Matthew I already check you Skype account.
Earl R: at 10:50:15
The reason why the call did not went through is because you dont have enough balance to your Skype account (Skype Credit)
Wait, What? But I have Skype Premium. I get free unlimited calls. Surely I don't need a balance of credit then right?
Earl R: at 10:50:34
You need to have first a balance to make a call.
What?
But wait, didn't we just read:
"You can also enjoy unlimited* calling to mobiles and landlines in a country of your choice**, so you can talk for as long as you like, as often as you like, without worrying about time or cost."
Uh oh. Something has gone wrong. Either someone is lieing or Skype is confused.
Matthew: at 10:51:03
So premium does not actually give you unlimited free calls?
Matthew: at 10:51:39
Are you charged for calls if you have premium?

Earl R: at 10:52:21
Skype Premium is a great way to enjoy all the features Skype has to offer. It lets you take advantage of group video calling (currently available on Windows desktop and Mac), so that you can call and see several members of your family at once, or celebrate New Year with your friends from different time zones. You can also enjoy unlimited* calling to mobiles and landlines in a country of your choice**, so you can talk for as long as you like, as often as you like, without worrying about time or cost.
Matthew: at 10:52:59
So it's a little deceptive then isn't it?
Earl R: at 10:54:51
Along with the Skype premium is you need to have a subscription. There is instances that customer getting confused on how the process is.
Matthew: at 10:55:09
it doesn't seem to mention that on your site though.
But I've had Skype premium and this wasn't true back then. Also you don't mention I need this with my premium so therefore you've lied to me and I get all my money back "to bad this was free". Oh but wait the story changes. Looks like he was confused and told me incorrect info.. Wait what?

Also what country was selected for me? The voucher didn't ask me.

Chapter 2: Dark Mater Skype Research Centre!
Matthew: at 10:55:26
Also it didn't get me to pick a country of my choice so I'm not sure what it picked for me?
Earl R: at 10:56:17
Your are correct
Earl R: at 10:56:37
You need to have a specific country for this Skype premium.
Matthew: at 10:57:01
So what country is selected for me?
Earl R: at 10:58:29
Let me check on that Matthew.
Earl R: at 11:04:01
I already check this matthew.
Earl R: at 11:04:32
This is voucher is only good for group video calling.
Uhhh.......Ok wtf. WHAT?! Doesn't say that does it? It shows up as premium. Premium = Premium. When does Premium not equal Premium.

Apparently the people at Skype can't do simple Math.
1=1 and 1 always equals 1 the day it doesn't the laws of physics and bounds of reality have been broken. Is Skype on the brink of a new scientific discovery I was unaware of? Are they creating worm holes in their basements? Holy Shit OH MY GOD.

SKYPE IS THE NEW WORLD OVERLOARD!!!

Or...
Earl R: at 11:04:49
Skype calling using a group video calling
Matthew: at 11:05:05
But it claims to be for skype premium.
Matthew: at 11:05:06
Your Skype Premium order was completed successfully and is now active.
Matthew: at 11:05:13
As part of your subscription you can now: Your subscription • Product name: Skype Premium • Skype Name: *CENSORED* • Transaction date: Dec 18, 2013 • Order reference: *CENSORED* • Total amount: CAD107.88
Earl R: at 11:06:16
That is correct.
Matthew: at 11:06:29
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10868/what-is-skype-premium

So wait, the site claims I get free calls with no mention of a need for a subscription... then why now do I need one?

Perhaps the fare use document answers my question.
Quote from: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10364/what-is-the-fair-usage-policy-for-unlimited-subscriptions

Using a subscription, for instance, to engage in telemarketing practices or call center operations
    Re-selling subscription minutes
    Sharing subscriptions between numerous users via a PBX, call center, computer or by any other means
    Using a subscription for other than your individual business communications, calling numbers (whether individually, sequentially or automatically) to generate income for yourself or others as a result of merely placing the call
    Unusual calling patterns inconsistent with common, individual subscription use, for example, making regular short calls or making calls to multiple numbers in unusually short periods of time

The Fair Usage Policy restricts calls to a maximum of two-hour periods.  Once a call has reached two hours, it will be automatically disconnected. However, you’ll be able to dial the same number again straight away.

The Fair Usage Policy also applies to any other unlawful, prohibited and unusual activities.

Any actions contrary to the Fair Usage Policy or Skype’s Terms of Use may lead to your subscription being suspended or our relationship with you being terminated. Where we consider it reasonable, we may provide you with a notice of improper behavior before suspending, terminating or offering an alternative subscription, as we deem appropriate.
Nope.

So the website actually lies to me flat out.

Interesting...
False Advertising: False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising. ...
Wait, isn't that illegal? Uh Oh.

So what gives?

Earl R: at 11:07:54
Matthew, this Skype premium that you have as a voucher
Earl R: at 11:08:34
is a free group video calling you your friends, family and relatives.
Earl R: at 11:09:05
If you need to make a call from skype to mobiles and landlines you need to have a subscription.
Earl R: at 11:09:27
The only thing that is for free for the voucher is the group video calling.
Matthew: at 11:10:05
So then the voucher isn't very well labelled then. It shouldn't show up as a premium subscription. Since it obviously isn't one.
Earl R: at 11:11:12
That is correct. But i suggest Matthew try to take advantage of it.
Oh, Ok thank you sir. -_-
Earl R: at 11:11:44
Skype premium is also one of the best subscription we have at this moment because of the Holiday season
Aw sweet to bad I don't have it then.
Matthew: at 11:11:50
So I can only take advantage of certain parts of the premium functions correct?
Earl R: at 11:12:09
Most customer needs to have a group video call to thier loveones.
Matthew: at 11:13:05
OK. But just to be clear, I can not take advantage of unlimited calls?
Oh?
So this premium voucher wasn't for premium after all... yet it shows up as premium when used. Uhhhhh...
Wut?

Chapter 3: The Black Hole Caves
Earl R: at 11:13:45
Unlimited call to mobiles and landlines?
Matthew: at 11:13:59
Yes.
Earl R: at 11:14:09
You can have unlimited calls from Skype to Skype (Group video calling)
Cool, can I also knit a mitten? Tell me more things I already know and haven't asked please!
Matthew: at 11:14:30
So I do not actually have Skype premium then.
Matthew: at 11:15:00
Because by definition Skype premium includes "Unlimited call to mobiles and landlines"
Earl R: at 11:16:37
I am sorry to inform mathew the reason you have Skype premoum is that you have advantage to have a group video call.
Shit... Now I get it. I don't have Skype Premium after all, I have Skype premoum, DAMN. Wish I knew what the hell that was. Is it an oil I rub on my member before I stuff it up your buttox? Kidding, I don't hate you.
Earl R: at 11:16:53
Along with that if you need to have a unlimited calls
Matthew: at 11:16:56
Ok but then it isn't really Skype premium then.
Matthew: at 11:17:04
isn't*
Earl R: at 11:17:08
You need to have a subscription to unlimited call.
Earl R: at 11:17:33
Yes you are correct,

Lets look at that again
Yes you are correct,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRr9NG7RE0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRr9NG7RE0</a>

Yes you are correct,

That took a while.
Matthew: at 11:17:41
OK then.
Matthew: at 11:17:45
Thank you.
Matthew: at 11:18:04
Sorry if I gave you a hard time just trying to clear everything up.

So this entire fight is over nothing? I never had Skype premium. But Skype says I do.
What do you think CG. Is it misleading? Or should it be ok the way it is?

In all honestly I don't hate the guy. Anything wrong with that offer was not his fault and he helped the best he could with what he was given. So props to him for putting up with me.

Anyways get your own fake skype premium at: https://collaboration.skype.com/promotion/
Happy fake premium.

And to be fair
*Offer comprises a twelve (12) month group video calling subscription. Offer must be redeemed on or before 30th April 2014 and commences on the redemption date. Skype account required and subscription may only be redeemed in respect of one Skype account. Skype's Terms of Use apply. To redeem, click here. Group video calling can be between three (3) or more (up to a maximum of ten (10) people). For the best quality, we recommend group video calling between up to five (5) people. You can read full user requirements here. A fair usage policy applies. Terms can change without notice at any time. No cash redemption, except where required by law. Offer subject to availability. Skype reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time. No emergency calls can be made using Skype. Skype is not a telephone replacement service.
Yet it still shows as premium when used.

So everyone welcome our new dark over lord:

So hypnotoad.  discofrog
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:14:30 PM by Inject OH 4 »
Quote from:  Winston
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Quote from:  Zombie
Valuve Admin Steve: If not we at valve can act as a "guardian gateway".
Valuve Admin Steve: I will be your daddy.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Pyro

Re: The Truth Behind Skype - A Company Full Of Lies!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
So Microsoft is a company full of lies.

Also that's the shittiest customer support I've ever seen, they can't even use proper English.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline DBag

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »
So Microsoft is a company full of lies.
No way, I thought they never lied.  trollface
My message of love is carved into every bullet I shoot at you <3

Offline Red

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »
Just signed up* time to see the fails.
Need anything? Find me on steam and I'll be happy to help.

Offline crovv

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
I've had the calling thing before, as well. Not sure if it included unlimited calling. I may have had to pay extra for it, so chances are they're just not being very true with the way they present things.

Offline Leetgrain

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
MICROSOFT IS 9/11
Quote from: Inject OH 4
The whole point of CG is ruined if no one post.
I know what you would do you would hump the shit out of that car, then you would get run over  :D
Quote from: Inject OH 4
It's an ulgy dem file.
And you're do not look any thicker. I've had Creaps.

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:43:22 AM »
Welcome to Indian Tech Support, may I take your bags?
But no seriously every big company has shitty tech support. Don't even get me started on EA. (Holy shit FUCK EA so much I just needed to get my free BF3 voucher for ps3 and they are too stupid to correctly answer my god damn question.)
Also not defending skype or its makers (fuck microshit too)

fuck everyone hnnnng so much anger

Offline Blackllama

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
That was a good read. Skype just keeps giving me reasons not to use it.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
That was a good read. Skype just keeps giving me reasons not to use it.
thank you for reading it. I know most people didn't lol so means a lot.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Looking for graphic artist, Photoshopers, and other graphic related people. Hit me a PM if you can help!

Offline Christovski

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Most tech support these days is based in India so yeah they just like read off scripts and shit.

Dat bullshit though!  "heres a thing LOLNOPE ITS NOT WHAT IT SAYS IT IS LOLOLOL"

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline Billy

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
I read the whole thing, and while it isn't really a free year of premium, why is it so bad? You're still getting free group video calls. I mean, it's free. Just take what they're giving you and go.

And yeah, it is kinda' false advertising, but you're looking at it the totally wrong way.
Purity of heart;

corruption of man.

Offline Inject OH 4

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
I read the whole thing, and while it isn't really a free year of premium, why is it so bad? You're still getting free group video calls. I mean, it's free. Just take what they're giving you and go.

And yeah, it is kinda' false advertising, but you're looking at it the totally wrong way.
I'm not mad that they gave me free shit, I'm mad they lied about what it is.

Offline Christovski

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
I mean, straight-up false advertising.  Yeah it COST nothing but its still scummy because if they lied about that, who knows what else they are lying about

Luna started the rover's engine.  "AEIOU!" She shouted as she slammed the gas and crashed through the wall.
whenbananasattack: Hot stuff is my life
Toukun: I wanna rock the fuck out.
Ninja Bunn3h: !sex @all

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
I guess I would be mad too but at the same time I never would have expected much from them as a company to begin with..

Offline Kawaii-kun

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
Welcome to Indian Tech Support, may I take your bags?
But no seriously every big company has shitty tech support. Don't even get me started on EA. (Holy shit FUCK EA so much I just needed to get my free BF3 voucher for ps3 and they are too stupid to correctly answer my god damn question.)
Also not defending skype or its makers (fuck microshit too)

fuck everyone hnnnng so much anger
Not EVERY company has shit support.
For example, I had really good experience with OVH (a server leasing company), and when I called them for support, not only they quickly replied (no machine "support"), and got shit done in an orderly manner! It all depends on the quality of the company, not how "big" it is.
ayy lmoa

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal