Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Biden sees no problem with taxing "violent" games  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Old Crow

Biden sees no problem with taxing "violent" games
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/joe-biden-sees-no-legal-problem-with-taxing-violent-video-games

Seriously, time to start the revolution. So fucking tired of these assholes in Washington who base nothing on fact, just make up laws because of their beliefs or because it earns them money.
I've proved people wrong on so many occasioans

Oh wow I do.Its because. I'm really active on the forum.

3 Days isn't log

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
  • How does one maintain community when no power?
    • View Profile
Re: Biden sees no problem with taxing "violent" games
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
ya it's really stupid some of the people proposing and supporting these laws. they haven't ever actually used or played whatever they are limiting so hurrdurr no remorse or feelings to not ban things.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline Red

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
"It was suggested by Graham that proceeds of the tax would go towards victims of gun violence and their families, according to the website's sources."

You've gotta be kidding me.

"...concluding that a study should be made on the effects violent video games have on developing brains."

^ Granted I can see how this would be an issue for parents who would allow their 6-10 year olds play video games with murder and violence everywhere without any punishment for the criminals. But that's not an issue with the game itself, it would be an example of bad parenting because they aren't doing a very good job of teaching their children how to act in a real life situation. Generally most violent games have ratings for what the age of the children who are going to be playing it should be at a minimum, so the "developing brains" of the children shouldn't be affected by anything overly violent or... disturbing. It would be an example of poor parenting if anything.
There should be no extra tax on violent media or violent games since the only people who should be playing or watching them ought to be old enough to know what is right and wrong, and what is and is not acceptable in a society. Not only that, but if they don't know what's right and wrong then they already have an issue that the violent video games won't change.

Sorry if my... views on this subject are flawed and feel free to tell me that I'm wrong. =P
Need anything? Find me on steam and I'll be happy to help.

Offline Liam Neeson

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
I hate the way the government uses taxes to punish activities that they think will make Jesus cry. Also which seems more likely that video games make people violent or that violent people enjoy violence in games. If these old coots are going to make ignorant assumptions they should at least use a bit of common sense.

Offline CashPrizes

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
That's simply retarded. Why tax 'violet' games? Why NOW instead of perhaps a few years ago (if they wanted to). Stuffz weird nowadays.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
I hate the way the government uses taxes to punish activities that they think will make Jesus cry. Also which seems more likely that video games make people violent or that violent people enjoy violence in games. If these old coots are going to make ignorant assumptions they should at least use a bit of common sense.

Politicians using common sense. Since when has that ever happened??

Its seriously stupid that this whole argument gets dumped on video games. So lets forget the fact that absolutely nothing passed on guns, even for background checks, lets forget the fact that maybe they shouldn't be as accessible. Nope video games caused every shooting in the world, every one. Lets tax video games, and violent movies. Hey while we are at it, we should tax violent books, magazines, TV shows. Just don't ever touch guns. Jesus invented guns you know, so they need to be handled by five year old, in able for them to shoot their own family members. Maybe we should allow felons to get access to guns as well, even though they legally cannot own one. I know, lets continue to shelter our children from the outside world, so when they enter that world they are much easier to break down into mindless drones.

I'm being quite sarcastic :/ While I don't think taking guns away will solve any issues, they should be harder to get, there should be better background checks and we need more funding invested in mental health. Also let me point out there is a REASON WHY IT SAYS RATED M, FOR AGES 17+ ON THE FU#KING BOX, OR RATED R FOR 18+ ON THE FU#KING RATING FOR A MOVIE. Gee I wonder why that is. Parents don't buy their twelve year old's mature games right?

3 Days isn't log

Offline Acebombastic

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Am I the only one who actually read past the headline? I hope you guys realize this isn't even close to becoming a law and is just Biden's opinion.

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
Am I the only one who actually read past the headline? I hope you guys realize this isn't even close to becoming a law and is just Biden's opinion.

Its still somebody in a position of power (albeit he can't do anything but he can lobby for it) that agrees with idiots that there should be a tax.

3 Days isn't log

Offline Dante

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
It said another person of high power agreed. And when the President or Vice President try to pass a law, you better believe shits gonna go down.

Also, Who the hell will be taxed? The consumer or the Dev? Pretty sure some good Game Devs will go under if M games are taxed. If it is on consumers, How to tax internet?

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal