Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recording / Conversion / Editing programs. What do you use?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline grimlust

Recording / Conversion / Editing programs. What do you use?
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
Ok so I understand I'm very new to the community but hey I love this stuff so I thought I might as well start a discussion about it. What programs do you use to record? Or what about convert with? Or edit with?

I've tried many different programs to record with lol ranging from Fraps to Xsplit and everything in between. Personally I really like the Open broadcasting software as a means to not only record but to do any live streaming (or both at once if you wish)

You can obtain near perfect capture without much frame loss due to the fact obs just doesn't eat away at your resources like some programs IE fraps. Not only that but you can put up your own custom overlays or webcams seamlessly into your recordings. Making for a pretty nice experience. The only downside with OBS that I personally encounter comes in 2 forms. 1. It saves everything in a FLV format that has to be converted (not a deal breaker by any means... just annoying) 2. The game capture function rarely works. So you have to rely on window capture or using video capture devices you can integrate IE Uscreen or Dxtory (dxtory creates way to large of files IMHO tho)

Best part about OBS its free! https://obsproject.com/download if you wish to play around with it. If anyone has any questions about it i'd be more than happy to help. Could even demonstrate settings etc via live stream.

As far as a conversion program I'm really a fan of xmedia recode. It's also free and lets you convert a plethora of different file types and that's beyond perfect for me. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XMedia-Recode link for anyone who is interested.

Now for video editing or rendering I used to prefer camtasia studio.. but i'll be honest that's an expensive route and for the basic needs of posting to youtube windows movie maker should suffice.

I'm certainly not the best youtuber out there but I do have a passion for it and would love some discussion! <3

Offline Finniespin

Re: Recording / Conversion / Editing programs. What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »
I heard someone say shadowplay from Nvidia works pretty well. Only like 3-5 FPS frameloss.

(And the ability to stream, dont quote)

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline grimlust

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
I heard someone say shadowplay from Nvidia works pretty well. Only like 3-5 FPS frameloss.

(And the ability to stream, dont quote)

I just tried out Shadowplay to record some BF4 footage (previously this title was the biggest pain in the ass for me to record with decent quality and a reasonable filesize without performance loss) but WOW it did a perfect job! Only issue I have is I was unable to set up my mic so I could do live commentary but regardless it still might be possible and i'm just not that familiar with the software yet. But I would HIGHLY recommend this option for pure game-play recordings.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
Yea, I forgot to adress that issue...

Just use Windows mic recorder or something.

Offline Red

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
Yea, I forgot to adress that issue...

Just use Windows mic recorder or something.

Umm... If you're in hidden/most games/mods that can record a .dem file try doing this.. voice_loopback 1 I think. It forces your game to play back sound from your microphone, that might work for Shadow play.

Also, would making so your computer plays back your mic to you while you're recording make it record that loopback in general? Or have you tried that?
Need anything? Find me on steam and I'll be happy to help.

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
The echo of your voice is going to be highly distractive...

Offline Red

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
The echo of your voice is going to be highly distractive...

Actually it isn't when you get use to it, I used to constantly have to check if my mic was working (crummy laptop that would randomly turn it off). Eventually I just got so used to having my voice playing back to me I forgot about it and constantly left it on (It's also entertaining when you're bored and start singing to yourself).

Offline Finniespin

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
It kinda ruins your gameplay IMO, hearing your voice constantly back. But eh.

Up to OP here.

Offline Red

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
It kinda ruins your gameplay IMO, hearing your voice constantly back. But eh.
Up to OP here.
Mmm I guess it could, eventually though you do start to ignore it/forget about it though, you don't even realize that it's on unless you're paying attention.

Also just realized I'm sort of helping Finnie in his quest to have the highest post count =o my bad Pillz. (Isn't Dark's higher than both of yours though?)

Offline Tictactoe360

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
For me I use Fraps and Movie Maker
Fraps is like 35$ now and Movie Maker came with my Laptop (And I believe is free)

Depending on the game I can take between 1 - 20FPS loss and the file sizes get rather big (I went out and spent 70$ on a external hard drive simply so I can record in large batches without having to stop, then I convert the several gig files down to 1Gig each through Movie Maker.

Offline grimlust

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSHOE32stA i just finished that today. Used Shadowplay / audacity and then camtasia studio for the slight editing. Worked fairly well even tho I got the voice audio like .3 seconds off lol When it comes to having to do a separate audio track all to its self I go with Audacity the quality and versatility is just super high.

Offline Red

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
Reminds me, Grim, the screen keeps freezing up still =P

Offline grimlust

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
When does it freeze? OBS side of things or on The Hidden side of things? More details are required sir.

Offline Red

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
When does it freeze? OBS side of things or on The Hidden side of things? More details are required sir.
Infos given =|

Offline (QC) Spell Bound

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
I have premiere cs5, after effects.
*DEAD* (TEAM) (=CG=) StormOfAshes: you can't even spell.
*DEAD* (TEAM) HamsterAtWar: bitch i can spell wright

"if you bother me with the steam cards again, I'll cut your nuts off and stuff them with rice and chesnuts like a christmas turkey :)" - Storm

It's all fun and games until someone pulls out a brand new .44 magnum, world's mot powerful handgun... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh - Storm ( Actually Clint Eastwood)

*DEAD* Lunar Xmascopter: I am going to have you banned! My Dad is a developer for Nintendo!

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal